Data loss is something that most computer users consider as a nightmare. No matter what use your computer is intended to, losing data remains a constant enemy that may hit your machine anytime. Ample preparation and planning especially for those who use computers in business and word processing is important to avoid losing precious data or if worst, your business. A responsible computer and business owner must therefore be able to have backup and recovery plans of all important files to avoid dire consequences and of course, the traumatic experience of losing important data.
Causes of Data Loss
Losing data can be attributed to a host of software and hardware failures but generally, most belongs to these 3 categories:
- Virus infection- A virus or any other malicious program can rapidly corrupt some files and programs on your hard drive causing a massive loss of important data saved on your computer
- Hardware failure or damage- Failures in your computer hardware such as the hard drive can be very devastating. Natural occurrences like earthquakes, floods, and the like can be attributed to hardware damage. Other cases also include fire, power outage and lack of hardware maintenance.
- Crimes and other causes- This includes file theft, espionage and most of the time, poor file handling by one of your employees. In other cases, some important files are mistakenly erased by someone resulting to a loss of information.
What Can You Do?
As an individual owning a computer for personal or work related use, the following steps will help prevent data loss:
- Avoid storing important files in the “My documents” folder. This is the most vulnerable place you can store your files into. You can try setting up a different partition for important files.
- Get an external hard drive. This is one of the easiest yet the most effective way of having your files backed up. External drives have more than enough and safe space for all your precious files.
- Avoid attachments and illegal software. Most contain malicious programs and viruses which can render all your files useless. Some can even damage your hard drive!
- Identify the cause of data loss and contact a data backup and recovery experts to set up a plan and a recovery system for your business operations.
- Always expect the unexpected. Have another place where your business can still be done just in case a fire breaks out within your building.
- Have all important files stored in a safe space. Having an offsite storage will also help in keeping all essential files safe from any disaster that may hit your business.
- Prevent loss by hiring a team of experiences backup and recovery experts and including the cost of having them on your operations expenses. These experts know what to do in any case of data loss. They can also help you in think and set up best system of backup and recovery that would fit your business.
Losing data can be very stressful but prevention, proper preparation and having the right team of recovery experts can make it a bit easier to deal with!